Senior Web3 Frontend Engineer
Our mission is to unlock the collaborative power of communities by making Web3 universally easy to use, access, and build on.
Working with Consensys puts you at the forefront of an evolving paradigm, transforming our society for the better. We fundamentally believe blockchain is the next generation of technology that can lay the foundation for a more just and equitable society.
Blockchain tech is just over 10 years old. Ethereum itself is still a toddler and we’re far from reaching our full potential. You’ll get to work on the tools, infrastructure, and apps that scale these platforms to billions of users.
You’ll be constantly exposed to new concepts, ideas, and frameworks from your peers, and as you work on different projects — challenging you to stay at the top of your game. You’ll join a network of entrepreneurs and technologists that reaches the edge of our ecosystem. Consensys alumni have moved on to become tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, and team leads at tech companies.
We’re building for a future where the internet and world economy empowers people through interactions based on consent, privacy, and free association. Where both communities and individuals flourish. To accomplish that, we’re working hard to make web3 accessible for everyone around the world.
MetaMask is both a crypto wallet and a gateway to the decentralized web. Our tools help people create communities, play video games, access financial services, make payments, invest in assets, protect against economic turmoil, and more. Our browser extension and mobile platforms meet the needs of millions of users and developers across the world.
Originally a humble key manager, today MetaMask serves over 30 million monthly active users as a decentralized application development platform, an aggregator of decentralized cryptocurrency exchanges, and a decentralized identity manager.
What you’ll do
As a Senior Web3 Frontend Engineer, you will be responsible for writing simple, clean, high-quality, and well tested software that delivers user value for MetaMask, a cryptocurrency wallet trusted by over 30 million users worldwide. You will plan and implement necessary changes to address scaling needs of MetaMask’s browser extension, and play a significant role in designing scalable solutions and migrations to support new functionality and the deprecation of outdated technical solutions, while guaranteeing a high-caliber user experience for our customers.
- Responsible for the entire lifecycle of projects or features for MetaMask’s browser extension, independently collaborating with other Engineers, Product Managers, Designers, and QA Engineers to Implement delightful user experiences and interfaces that will define tomorrow’s wallets and keep people’s funds safe and secure.
- Participate in periodic in-person strategy, collaboration, and team-building sessions with UK team members in the Core Platform team (QA Lead, QA Engineers and Software Engineers) and Security teams (Security Engineers).
- Optimize and solidify performance, security and stability throughout our MetaMask Extension codebase and its many dependencies; identify and program solutions to bugs and write tests to prevent quality regressions.
- Ensure timely resolution of bugs found in releases in partnership with the team’s QA Engineer(s) located in the UK.
- Participate in the hiring process, giving effective candidate feedback; onboard and mentor Engineers in their team through code reviews and pairing, particularly those less experienced than themselves.
- Responsible for complex tasks and able to complete them despite roadblocks, effectively escalating problems that have a wider scope, supporting to bring them to a successful conclusion.
- Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints; identify and suggest areas of future work for themselves or their teams. Automate common workflows to define and build improvements to make the workflow more efficient.
- Provide context and clarity so that others can easily understand the what/why/how.
- Write technical documentation such as documentation for new components to make it easier for other developers to reuse it.
- Evaluate the licensing, code quality, and necessity of third party libraries by providing feedback on code changes proposed by peers, and participating in technical reviews and product discussions
- Participating in any relevant team on-call support for GMT time zone coverage for the immediate Extension UX team; including monitoring, investigating system warnings and errors, escalating, and remedying issues when critical functions are broken or degraded.
Would be great if you brought this to the role
- Bring respect, patience, and empathy to every interaction and relationship with coworkers and the community.
- Bring enthusiasm, heart and a love of shipping high-quality code and fixing bugs to their work.
- Growth-minded and collaborative, and who thrives in an environment with some ambiguity, autonomy, and the freedom to experiment
- Proficient and thoughtful with asynchronous and synchronous communication and with giving and receiving feedback
- Able to successfully working in a partially remote environment, individually and within a team
- Supportive of their team’s collective performance and growth
- A belief in our mission and values.
- Minimum of 3 years of Frontend development experience
- Experience with typed languages
- Experience with React and Redux
- Experience with encryption and security
- Direct work experience using blockchain technology
- Familiar with front-end build tools: Grunt, Gulp, webpack, or similar
- Experience with Testing: unit, integration, end-to-end
- CSS and modern libraries/extensions like Sass, SCSS, Less
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar
Don't meet all the requirements? Don't sweat it. We’re passionate about building a diverse team of humans and as such, if you think you've got what it takes for our chaotic-but-fun, remote-friendly, start-up environment—apply anyway, detailing your relevant transferable skills in your cover letter. While we have a pretty good idea of what we need, we're ready for you to challenge our thinking on who needs to be in this role.
Consensys is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Consensys is aware of fraudulent recruitment practices and we encourage all applicants to review our best practices to protect yourself which can be found (https://Consensys.net/careers/best-practices-to-avoid-recruitment-fraud/).