Staff Product Designer
Staff Product Designer
Who we are
M1 is a personal finance platform made for the modern era, uniting individual perspective with automated ease. Hundreds of thousands of investors take control of their long-term wealth with M1 and have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets. As the Finance Super App™, we empower financial well-being with all the tools to invest, borrow, and spend: low-cost borrowing, high interest checking, and high cash back Visa® debit and credit card rewards.
We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being and strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our competitors. We've been named a top app for investors including 2022 Best for Low Costs and Best for Sophisticated Investors by Investopedia.
As a fast-growing fintech company, we’re looking for talented and smart individuals who are excited about rethinking what’s possible with personal finance, invested in their personal and professional growth, and take ownership of the work they want to do – all while helping others create something meaningful and sustainable for their futures. Our award-winning workplace culture has been recognized by Inc. (Best Workplaces 2022), Built In Chicago (2022 Best Places to Work in Chicago), CB Insights (Top Fintech Companies of 2021), and the Chicago Tribune (2021 Top Workplace).
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for a passionate problem solver who nerds out on all things finance and design. You’ll be uniquely positioned to bend your brain on strategic issues as well as push plenty of those beloved pixels in this role as Staff Product Designer as you help us design and build a premium digital private bank experience. This role will be a great fit if you’re a super motivated and curious user experience expert who thrives in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment where you have full ownership over designing innovative and well-crafted solutions that drive the best possible outcomes for our customers. And although we're based in Chicago, we're open to fully remote candidates for this role.
What you’ll do
- Lead the product design strategy and execution for our Borrow products. You’ll explore and define undefined problem spaces and optimize existing ones, taking full ownership of your end-to-end design solution from idea to shipping to post-launch optimizations.
- Connect with customers to listen, observe and turn their feedback into insights and ideas that drive the best outcomes.
- Rapidly ideate to get to multiple concepts, moving into detailed workflows and interactions as solutions solidify, and bringing ideas to life through sketches, user flows, wireframes, prototypes and hi-fidelity visual design.
- Collaborate with a tight-knit cross-functional team throughout your design process to arrive at data-informed solutions for all platforms (web, iOS, Android).
- Drive alignment across stakeholders via effective communication, measurement, organization, and leadership.
- Provide broad leadership to other designers in their daily work to help uplevel quality and consistency, and be a voice in improving our team’s design processes and operations.
- 10+ years designing exceptional consumer products with a portfolio that showcases your ability to move fluidly between user research, UX, UI and visual design.
- An obsession for deeply understanding business and customer needs, and the ability to translate those needs into intuitive product experiences.
- A proven track record of strategic thinking that shows consistent intelligent design decisions and that highlights your ability to collaborate with Product Management and Engineering to ship products that have made a measurable impact.
- A thorough understanding of responsive web design, iOS and Android platforms, UI component libraries, living design systems and modern browser technologies.
- You’re known for taking bold, calculated risks, and learning from your mistakes.
- You have a strong passion for elegant, practical design and continual optimization.
- Basic knowledge of and interest in investing and personal finance.
- Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our DEIB Council and six Employee Resource Groups (AAPI@M1, Black@M1, Mental Health@M1, Pride@M1, SomosM1, and Women@M1), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEIB projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our ten core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven - We know that financial well-being has a dramatic impact on an individual's quality of life. We are passionate about helping people in this domain.
- Extreme Ownership - We are responsible for the results to our clients, teammates, and shareholders. We own everything in our domain that affects these results.
- Boldness - Thinking small is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Thinking big inspire results. We would rather fail at the meaningful than succeed at the trivial.
- Ruthless Prioritization - We want to do more than we possibly can. We must be disciplined on how to use our precious money, people, and time. That means saying no to a lot of good ideas so we can focus on the most important thing.
- Integrity - We do the right thing. This trust must never be broken.
- Effectiveness - We do what's needed to deliver the intended results. Whether that requires disciplined process or scrappy implementation, we find a way.
- Team Oriented - We work collaboratively to achieve more. We respect, trust, and support one another.
- Transparency - We use simple and clear communication to share information so that people have the context to make good decisions.
- Make Forward Progress - Something is better than nothing. We make incremental improvements on our path towards perfection. Crawl, walk, run, and then sprint.
- Resiliency - We understand that any big goal comes with ambiguity, change, and setbacks. We adapt and keep going.
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication with leadership
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym
- Access to employee workshops and training about financial literacy, empathy and mental health, professional development, and more
- Free subscription to Insight Timer, the world’s #1 meditation app for sleep, stress, and anxiety
Something looks off?