Staff Software Engineer - Data Platform (Core Serving)
At TRM, we're on a mission to build a safer financial system for billions of people around the world. Our next-generation platform, which combines threat intelligence with machine learning, enables financial institutions and governments to detect cryptocurrency fraud and financial crime at an unprecedented scale.
The Data Platform team collaborates with an experienced group of data scientists, engineers, and product managers to build highly available and scalable data infrastructure for TRM's products and services. As a Staff Engineer focusing on High-Performance Serving Layer Technologies, you will play a crucial role in designing and maintaining our core serving layer to ensure high throughput, low latency, and excellent observability.
The impact you’ll have here:
- Design, build, and maintain high-performance data services that integrate with multiple blockchains, ensuring high throughput, low latency, and observability.
- Develop ETL pipelines that transform and process petabytes of structured and unstructured data efficiently.
- Optimize data models for storage and retrieval to support sub-second latency for querying blockchain data.
- Deploy and monitor large database clusters that are performant and highly available.
- Work cross-functionally with data scientists, backend engineers, and product managers to design and implement, and new data models to support TRM’s products.
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or a related field.
- 8+ years of experience building distributed system architecture, from whiteboard to production.
- Demonstrated expertise in designing and implementing high-performance, high-throughput, and low-latency systems.
- Experience with observability tools and techniques for monitoring, tracing, and logging.
- Strong programming skills in Python and SQL.
- Versatility. Experience across the entire spectrum of data engineering, including:
- Data stores (e.g., ClickHouse, ElasticSearch, Postgres, Redis, and Neo4j)
- Data pipeline and workflow orchestration tools (e.g., Airflow, DBT, Luigi, Azkaban, Storm)
- Data processing technologies (e.g., Spark, Hadoop, MapReduce)
- Deployment and monitoring infrastructure in public cloud platforms (e.g., Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, Datadog)
- Code generation techniques and tools for optimizing performance.
- Loading, querying, and transforming large data sets with low latency.
The TRM way
- We define high-impact targets through customer centricity, prioritization, and adaptability.
- We execute efficiently to achieve our goals through good judgment, velocity, and humility.
- We elevate our team’s performance through integrity, apprenticeship, and positivity.
Why TRM Labs
- Join a mission-driven company that's building a safer financial system for billions of people.
- Do meaningful work alongside a bright and humble team.
- Develop world-class products that are trusted by leading institutions and agencies.
- Tackle novel challenges in blockchain, data science, and threat intelligence.
- We've raised $150M from JPMorgan Chase, Visa, PayPal, Tiger Global, Bessemer, among others.
- Enjoy a remote-first workplace with hubs in San Francisco, Washington, DC, and London.
- Remote-first work environment, with optional in-person offices
- Regular team off-sites and retreats
- Competitive salaries and stock options
- Premium health, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA, HSA ,and 401K programs
- Life & disability coverage
- Generous paid time for vacation, volunteering, sick leave, and parental leave
- Fitness, co-working, and home office reimbursements
- Fertility, professional coaching, and mental health resources
We encourage you to reach out even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Do not worry about picking exactly the right job; we can always explore other options after starting the conversation. Your passion and interests will set you apart, especially if your background or career is unconventional. Join us!
Something looks off?