Senior Data Scientist
At TRM, we're on a mission to build a safer financial system for billions of people around the world. Our next-generation platform, which combines threat intelligence with machine learning, enables financial institutions and governments to detect cryptocurrency fraud and financial crime at an unprecedented scale.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will have end-to-end ownership of custom models, algorithms, and other data products that feed directly into TRM’s UX. In collaboration with a highly skilled team of engineers, data scientists, and research scientists, your goal will be to uncover valuable and defensible information that can be used to detect, prevent, and mitigate cryptocurrency fraud and financial crime.
The models and algorithms you create will be specifically designed to identify new threat vectors that are unique to cryptocurrencies and blockchains. These tools will be consumed by prestigious entities such as former FBI, Secret Service, and other law enforcement agencies, enabling them to stay ahead of evolving criminal activities in the cryptocurrency space.
The impact you'll have here:
- Lead the development of advanced machine learning and statistical models tailored to identify patterns and anomalies associated with cryptocurrency fraud and financial crime. These models will help detect potential threats and provide valuable insights for law enforcement agencies.
- Develop custom models, algorithms, and interactive visualizations that will be consumed by former FBI, Secret Service, and Europol agents and analysts to detect new threat vectors unique to cryptocurrencies and blockchains
- Collaborate with engineers and research scientists to design algorithms to analyze complex data structures inherent to cryptocurrencies and blockchains. This will involve working with distributed ledger technologies, cryptographic protocols, and transactional data to uncover suspicious activities.
- Create interactive visualizations that allow law enforcement agencies to explore and understand complex blockchain data easily. These visualizations will enable investigators to navigate through the data effectively and identify key insights related to potential fraud and financial crime.
- As a leader in the team, you will collaborate closely with engineers, data scientists, and research scientists to align on project goals, methodologies, and deliverables. You will communicate your findings and insights effectively to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- You will stay up to date with the latest developments in the field of blockchain technology, cryptocurrencies, and financial crime. This will involve continuous learning, attending conferences, and exploring research papers to incorporate cutting-edge techniques into your work.
- Develop your skills through exceptional training as well as frequent coaching and mentoring from colleagues
- Establish best practices and statistical rigor around data-driven decision-making
What we're looking for:
- Your academic background is in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, Economics or Physics. Advanced degree preferred.
- You have 4+ years of experience working in an analytical role.
- You have proven experience with at least one programming language (Python preferred) and are comfortable developing code in a team environment (e.g. git, notebooks, testing).
- You have a working knowledge of relational databases, (e.g. SQL)
- You think about data in terms of statistical distributions and have a big enough analytics toolbox to know how to find patterns in data and identify targets for performance
- You have a high tolerance for ambiguity. You find a way through. You anticipate. You connect and synthesize.
- You are delivery-oriented, able to lead and execute modeling efforts from start to finish
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills and experience in influencing decisions with information.
The TRM way
- We define high-impact targets through customer centricity, prioritization, and adaptability.
- We execute efficiently to achieve our goals through good judgment, velocity, and humility.
- We elevate our team’s performance through integrity, apprenticeship, and positivity.
Why TRM Labs
- Join a mission-driven company that's building a safer financial system for billions of people.
- Do meaningful work alongside a bright and humble team.
- Develop world-class products that are trusted by leading institutions and agencies.
- Tackle novel challenges in blockchain, data science, and threat intelligence.
- We've raised $150M from JPMorgan Chase, Visa, PayPal, Tiger Global, Bessemer, among others.
- Enjoy a remote-first workplace with hubs in San Francisco, Washington, DC, and London.
- Remote-first work environment, with optional in-person offices
- Regular team off-sites and retreats
- Competitive salaries and stock options
- Premium health, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA, HSA ,and 401K programs
- Life & disability coverage
- Generous paid time for vacation, volunteering, sick leave, and parental leave
- Fitness, co-working, and home office reimbursements
- Fertility, professional coaching, and mental health resources
We encourage you to reach out even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Do not worry about picking exactly the right job; we can always explore other options after starting the conversation. Your passion and interests will set you apart, especially if your background or career is unconventional. Join us!