Engineering Manager, Data Platform
We believe that a blockchain-based global economy can improve the lives of billions of people.
At TRM, we're on a mission to build trust in digital assets, because the promise of crypto is too valuable to be impeded by bad actors. We provide a blockchain intelligence platform to law enforcement, financial institutions, and crypto firms to assist in the detection and prevention of cryptocurrency fraud and financial crime. Our vision is to build a company that can sustainably deliver on our mission for decades to come, enabling consumers to transact safely and securely on the blockchain.
The Data Platform team collaborates with an experienced group of data scientists, engineers, and product managers to build highly available and scalable data infrastructure for TRM's products and services. As an Engineering Manager, you will guide your team toward executing mission-critical systems and data services that analyze blockchain transaction activity at petabyte scale. Your contributions will play a pivotal role in building a safer financial system for billions of people.
The impact you’ll have here:
- Lead and nurture a team of high-impact engineers, offering guidance in both technical and cultural aspects.
- Provide regular coaching and technical mentorship to your immediate team as well as contribute to the broader engineering department's growth.
- Assume direct responsibility for ensuring the quality and timely delivery of the team's work, while overseeing the availability and performance of critical services.
- Drive projects aligned with well-defined goals and measurable outcomes, accountable to key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Foster best practices in design and usability, creating scalable solutions while emphasizing documentation and knowledge sharing.
- Resolve operational escalations and collaborate with various teams to address production incidents until resolution.Collaborate closely with management and product teams to plan, estimate, and prioritize roadmap objectives, identifying opportunities and mitigating risks.
- Contribute to the creation of highly reliable data services that seamlessly integrate with numerous blockchains.
- Engineer and optimize ETL pipelines that handle real-time transformation and processing of petabytes of structured and unstructured data.
- Architect data models to ensure efficient storage and retrieval, maintaining sub-second latency for querying blockchain data.
- Oversee the deployment and vigilant monitoring of large-scale database clusters, focusing on performance and high availability.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with data scientists, backend engineers, and product managers to design, implement, and refine new data models in support of TRM’s products.
What we’re looking for:
- A Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or a related field.
- A proven track record with over 5 years of experience in conceiving and implementing distributed system architecture, spanning from ideation to production.
- Proficiency in Python programming and adeptness in SQL or SparkSQL.
- Versatility across the entire spectrum of data engineering, encompassing areas such as:
- Expertise in data stores such as ClickHouse, ElasticSearch, Postgres, Redis, and Neo4j.
- Proficiency with data pipeline and workflow orchestration tools like Airflow, DBT, Luigi, Azkaban, and Storm.
- Advanced proficiency in data processing technologies and streaming workflows, including Spark, Kafka, and Flink.
- Competence in deploying and meticulously monitoring infrastructure within public cloud platforms, using tools such as Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, and Datadog.
- A demonstrated ability to handle the complexities of loading, querying, and transforming extensive and intricate datasets.
The following represents the expected range of compensation for this role:
- The estimated base salary range for this role is $173,000 - $220,000.
- Additionally, this role may be eligible to participate in TRM’s equity plan.
- Please note – we factor in the different costs for geographies outside the United States.
Culture at TRM isn't a buzzword; it's our daily ethos. Our culture is defined by how we make decisions, how we execute, and how we treat each other. We've distilled our culture into 18 leadership principles, grouped into three categories:
- Impact-Oriented Trailblazer: When making decisions, we put customers first, use 80/20 to drive speed & focus, and adapt quickly to new information.
- Master Craftsperson: In execution, we prioritize speed, high standards, and distributed ownership.
- Inspiring Colleague: As teammates, we value humility, candor, and a one-team mindset.
Building a Career
Joining TRM means being part of a mission-driven team. Our diverse team comprises industry leaders, from crypto experts to machine learning pioneers. At TRM, you'll experience:
- Purpose and Mission: Your work has real-world impact, from disrupting terrorist networks to returning stolen funds.
- Inspiring Colleagues: Collaborate with industry leaders and learn something new daily.
- Personal Growth: We're not just using technology; we're inventing it and taking category-defining products to market.
Being part of TRM means embracing:
Remote First: Our headquarters is online. Tools like Zoom and Slack ensure seamless collaboration, but we also value in-person interactions, organizing regular meetups and offsites for team bonding.
Asynchronous Communication: Clear communication is key in our decentralized setup. With team members in various time zones, we've mastered asynchronous communication with tools like Slack, Loom, and voice notes. We document meetings and decisions, promoting transparency and efficiency.
High Ownership: Small teams drive big goals at TRM. Every team member has significant ownership and responsibility, fostering an environment of initiative and direct impact. While there's no strict clocking in or out, we expect team members to be available for meetings during standard working hours in their country, balancing personal schedules and team needs.
TRM Speed: Our customers rely on TRM in active investigations — from cyberattacks to terrorist financing. We move “surprisingly fast” while maintaining a high bar in service of our customers and mission. This can feel both intense and rewarding. Our unique approach to projects emphasizes quick wins, rapid iterations, and constant feedback, ensuring we're always moving forward and adapting to changes.
Diversity and Inclusion: Diversity at TRM encompasses backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Every day is an opportunity to learn from a colleague, whether they're a law enforcement expert or a tech pioneer.
Benefits and Perks
At TRM, we know that supporting our team members can take many forms. Our goal is to enable you to care for yourself, your family, and your community while eliminating stress through our diverse and curated benefits package for full-time employees.
- Remote-first work environment
- Regular team off-sites and retreats
- Competitive salaries and stock options
- Premium health, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA, HSA, and 401K programs
- Life & disability coverage
- Generous paid time for vacation, volunteering, sick leave, and parental leave
- Fitness, co-working, and home office reimbursements
- Fertility, professional coaching, and mental health resources
Considering TRM? You're not just joining a company; you're joining a mission. Work alongside diverse, globally-minded colleagues and make a positive impact daily. We hope to have you on board as we strive for a safer financial system for all.
We encourage you to reach out even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Do not worry about picking exactly the right job; we can always explore other options after starting the conversation. Your passion and interests will set you apart, especially if your background or career is unconventional. Join us!